If you are moving to Glen Burnie this summer (or maybe the next one), we will show you a couple of useful tips. The summer season can be very dangerous for seniors. High temperatures are not ideal for relocation, which doesn’t mean you shouldn’t move during the summer. You just need to pay extra attention to your surroundings. Also, you need to prepare well and find adequate help. That is the key. Not just for seniors – high temperatures are dangerous for all of us. No matter the age and everything else. Before we start we just wanted to tell you that this safe little charming town (Glen Burnie) is a perfect location for retirement. You chose well. Now, let’s start talking about the whole process starting from the beginning.
First step – a checkup
This is a great place for retirees but, before you go there, you need to prepare yourself well. The doctor’s office is the first stop. Talk to your physician about the upcoming heat wave and how your meds may interact with it at your next appointment. Seniors who don’t have air conditioning may find it difficult to store medications in cool enough places, which can have an impact on their health. Talk about transporting those meds as well. In some cases, these medications can be compromised in case they are exposed to high temperatures for a longer period of time and that is something we want to avoid. Some medications necessitate that the elderly avoid exposure to the sun. There are many things that could go wrong and that’s why you need to talk to your trusted doctor and tell them that you are moving during the summer. They will make sure that you stay safe along the way. If you’re taking medication, be sure to consult your doctor and read the medication’s label before taking it.
The crucial part you need to know
When moving seniors, you need to be extra careful. A condition called hyperthermia occurs when the body’s temperature rises abnormally. Heat stroke is a severe and potentially fatal form of hyperthermia. In order to avoid heat stroke, it is important to be aware of the warning signs. If you or your loved one exhibits any of the following symptoms, seek immediate medical attention:
- no sweating
- rapid pulse
- dry or flushed skin
- sudden change in behavior
- heavy breathing
All of those are warning signs you need to be aware of. If you manage to react in time everything will be ok. Because we end up losing the ability to conserve water as we grow older, seniors are more at risk of dehydration. In addition, some medications and health problems make it more difficult for the elderly to realize they are thirsty, increasing the risk of dehydration. Extra water and sweat replacement products should be brought along on any outings. Avoid dehydrating beverages like soda, coffee, and alcohol.
There is a better way to do this that will also be much safer for you or your partner. We are talking about hiring professional movers like 24/7 Logistics Services that have experience with these conditions.
A checklist for moving to Glen Burnie
Now that we covered the risks and warned you about the signs as well as showed you who can help you we wanted to make sure that you have all the important steps for every relocation before you.
- If you like to use your smartphone to make things easy download a moving app to help you to plan this relocation
- Declutter your old home to make packing easier or hire a cleaning crew to help you with decluttering
- Find adequate help, we are talking about professional movers and set a date
- Ask them about services they are offering in order to make the whole thing easier (they can even pack you so you don’t have to do that during the hot summer days)
- Notify everyone who needs to know about your relocation on time and give them your new address and phone number
- If you have any subscriptions now is the time to cancel them
- Make sure to pack one separate bag that will contain all the necessities for the road like your meds, water, soft drinks, maybe some wet wipes, and everything you might need to make traveling easier
- Try to rest as much as possible before the relocation, you will have a couple of rough days
- Once you arrive in Glen Burnie, make sure to engage specialists from the area to help you with unpacking and settling in
Hiring professional movers
Moving to a new place during summer is quite stressful even if it’s to a great place such as Glen Burnie. It’s a time of transition, marked by the loss of comfort and the separation from old acquaintances. When elderly people are relocated, they are put under additional strain (more than everyday life brings you). Relocating them in the wrong way can be traumatizing and lead to a condition known as relocation stress syndrome. That’s why we always recommend finding people who know how to deal with seniors and have the necessary equipment for an enjoyable moving experience.
We showed you who can help you with moving to Glen Burnie and told you that the sooner you start with preparations – the better. Now it’s up to you. Don’t worry, if you listen to our advice you will have a great moving experience and soon enough you will be enjoying your new home in Glen Burnie. Good luck!