Moving in NYC can look more like a long-distance relocation than a relocation within the same city. That’s mainly due to the fact that NYC is an amazingly big city. Just moving from one borough to another can be like moving from one city to another. That’s why you need to prepare well just like you would for any other relocation. We are here to help you out and show you everything you need to know before you even start packing. Before we even start you should know one thing. Even though you are moving within the city, you should still start with your moving preparations as soon as possible.
5 things you should know before you start packing
- You should declutter your home before you start packing. That is the only way to have some sort of order during the process. Packing can be messy and it takes time, but if you get rid of everything you don’t really need and don’t care to bring to your new home, it will be much easier. So, you can declutter your home right now and have a much easier packing process.
- You don’t have to do anything alone especially if you are packing for an emergency relocation and have to be quick about it. Call your friends to help you with decluttering or even packing. Other family members can also help you. Sometimes even kids can be of help. They don’t have to do much but after the age of five, they can fold clothes and sort toys right? The more people you include the easier it will be.
- You can hire professionals to pack you if you don’t have the time or you simply have too many household items to handle on your own. Getting adequate help can be a huge relief.
- It’s almost impossible to pack everything in a day, so don’t leave packing for the last minute. Start sorting things as soon as possible. If you do packing in a hurry – chances are you will forget many things.
- You can always find good tips and tricks online that will help you to speed things up.
Things you need to know about packing (tips and tricks)
First of all, you will need to find some good packing material. Good quality moving boxes are important or you can consider plastic bins (you can even rent them). Bubble wrap, packing paper are such are important too since they will be keeping your fragile items safe. It’s crucial to get everything ready properly so your things can be safe on the road. Also, make sure that you find a good labeling system. Otherwise, you won’t be able to tell which box is which, and that will slow you down when the time comes to unpack. While we are talking about unpacking, it will be much easier if all your household items are sorted in moving boxes by room. Another thing – always pack from the smallest and most fragile items and then work your way up to the furniture and such.
Moving in NYC – who can help you
Hiring professional movers is usually the only way to have an easy relocation. This is something we always recommend. But not all movers are the same. Also, there are different kinds of services movers are offering. This is why you need to do thorough research before hiring them. But generally speaking, movers can make your relocation a great moving experience instead of a nightmare that many will tell you moving can be. If you are worried about prices you can call movers and ask for an estimate and talk about moving insurance. All reliable movers can tell you that upfront.
What can they do for you?
They can do pretty much everything you can think of. Movers like nycministorage.com can even offer you storage. They can help you with packing, loading, unpacking, planning and the list goes on. You need to go to their website and see what they are offering and which one of the services they are offering you need. Then you can call them and you can find some arrangement that works well for you. Movers are especially helpful when you have to relocate some big items like piano for example. Because that is something you cant do on your own, you need special equipment.
Are you using all the advantages of modern technology you can?
If you are not – you should. Did you know that your phone can make moving in NYC much easier? Yes, that’s right, your phone. There are apps that are made just for that. Moving and packing apps are a pretty big deal. Those apps have some great packing hacks and in general some cool tips and tricks for you, reminders, checklists, alarms. They can even help you to find movers near you. Make sure to check them out because most of them are free to use and they can be so helpful. Now head out to your app/play store and check them all out.
Parting words on moving in NYC
You have a lot of work in front of you but hopefully, we showed you a way to make all that work easier on you. Luckily you are staying in NYC – the best city in the world and whichever borough you chose to be your new home will be just great. Good luck with your upcoming relocation and remember – there is always a way to make everything less stressful.