Life is not always giving us the things that we expect. Sounds familiar? One of the most important things in understanding the world and the people around us, is opening our mind to differences. This is especially important when one is trying to start a new life after moving to another country. Depending on the circumstances, such experiences may totally defer from what one is used to. Changes and challenges are often difficult to overcome. Uprooting yourself from your habits, family, and friends is not always fun, even if you desperately wanted that at some point in your life. Adjusting to a new place can open a new chapter of challenges. Here are a few things that might be helpful in adjusting to a new life when you are moving abroad.
Starting a new life after moving to another country, creating a new home
Moving from your home can be difficult and stressful, even if represents a positive change. Moving countries, or even continents, is especially difficult. Not only the headaches about packing things, choosing the right moving company, finding good and reliable real estate agent. What might worry you the most is the question- Have you found a decent new house or apartment, will that house comfort you as much as your old house did? Design your living space by your own rules. Take with you some precious things from your old home. If you were not able to take them with you, buy some not expensive new things that will remind you of your home. Photos of your family and friends on the walls, plants, favorite books, or whatever makes you happy.
- If the kitchen is your fun zone purchase some nice plates or cookware.
- For readers– nothing better than a good blanket or pillow for cozy nights with books. Arrange things, give the environment a touch of your personality. Very soon your new place will feel like home.
Walking through the new neighborhood
Fear of unknown? Isn’t this a very familiar, but at the same time a quite natural thing? Before moving abroad to your new place of living, do the research on that place through books, online maps or guides. And when you come to the chosen destinations, try to be a tourist, even just for a little while. Start discovering your surroundings, go sightseeing. Take photos and start making new memories. Walk around the neighborhood, meet your neighbors, invite them to come over to your place. Explore the place you are living, find your new favorite bakery, a coffee shop for afternoon relaxing, a barber- find everyday spots that you will get to like.
If you have difficulties adjusting to the new community, new people and the new language, expat community can be interesting for you. You can find people there who will understand the situation you are in, who can show you the town, good places to eat, cheaper grocery stores and other useful stuff. But do not forget that making new friendships and contacts is a crucial thing in embracing a fresh start after moving to a foreign country.
Making new friendships in another country, retaining old ones
Your personal time is very important, settling your emotions and thoughts can be quite a challenge when starting a new life after moving to another country. Making friends in a foreign country could be not that easy. These are few tips on how to adjust yourself to the new community:
- Learn a new language when relocating your life to a new country– Language is usually taken for granted. While we have everyday communication with people in our mother tongue, it can make a barrier when you are in a country with different language and want to express yourself. One way of making new friends and making communication easier is learning the local language. Join language school in your neighborhood or start online classes.
- Do jobs for free– Another good way of getting to know new people and to be accepted as a part of the community- is to be a volunteer. Find a charity that is meaningful to you. You can easily find positions online, through local ads, or you can just ask someone from your neighborhood.
- Take a class which you never took before– There are many things that you always wanted to do or to participate in. Are you passionate about painting, writing, dancing, knitting or maybe hiking? Now is the time to make changes. Sign in for a preferred class with people who share the same interests as you.
While making new friends, do not forget old ones. Always have time for a talk with them, be patient with them, talk about their lives to, not only about yours, even if there is probably a lot more news that you want to share with them. With a lot of social networks and apps, you can always stay connected. You will both appreciate that.
Discovering new things, get over the culture shock
After the initial, honeymoon phase, where everything seems so delightful and cheerful when moving abroad, there is a second phase that needs to be passed- culture shock. Accepting the differences, which we mentioned at the beginning of this text, is a major key to adjusting to a new place now. Discover new things, new cultures, see how other people live. Try new food, listen to new music, start learning a new language.
Ready to move abroad and start a brand new life?
The coin has two sides, so does everything in life. Making a decision of moving to another country and starting a new life can have both advantages and disadvantages. That should not stop you from making your life a better place to live in. Take all that life gives you, learn new things, meet new people, open your mind and get to know this planet you are living on. Enjoy it and don’t be afraid if adjustment takes some time.
In the end, watch the video regarding culture shock: