A lot of students coming to NY face the same problems and questions each year. Where to move and what are the best NYC neighborhoods for students to live in and settle? Students coming from other cities often don’t know where and how to begin. What are the pros and cons and how do you go about finding out the right answers? Luckily, we are here to help at least to some extent by providing the list of the best NYC neighborhood for students.
Explore New York to find the best NYC neighborhoods for students
Well, we are talking about one of the largest cities in the world so researching New York is a must! You must find out what the neighborhoods are, what their characteristics are and how expensive they are. Students tend to look for cheaper neighborhoods to cut on expenses, so financial aspects when researching are critical.
So, the City of New York consists of five boroughs that offer some of the best neighborhoods for millennials. These boroughs are as different as they can get:
- The Bronx
- Staten Island
Keep in mind that the costs of living are different in these boroughs. Thus, do your research very carefully and in detail.
Some of the NYC neighborhoods that might be interesting for students
So, let’s analyze some of the neighborhoods that might be interesting for students:
- Brooklyn Heights is one of the most peaceful parts of New York. It gives a balance to the rush of Manhattan and is a quiet place with a rustic feel.
- Crown Heights is a very affordable part of New York to live in. This borough is full of cultural and educational content and has a great tradition in sports.
- Williamsburg a part of New York which has become very interesting to hipsters and artists recently. The borough experiences an influx of young people and is becoming a busy cultural center.
- DUMBO is an abbreviation of Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass which is officially a part of Brooklynn. This part of New York also attracts artists, millennials, and has become a sort of center for many new startups that originate straight from DUMBO.
- Flatbush is best described as the most affordable part of New York. As such it is very interesting to students that live on a tight budget and are looking for relatively cheap apartments. This place has become the most diverse part of New York with many different nationalities and ethnicities settling down there.
How to find the best NYC neighborhoods for students
So how to decide on the best neighborhood for you? Well, there are a lot of factors to consider. We must take many elements into consideration when weighing the pros and cons of all of the New York neighborhoods. It’s important to know their characteristics but what is best for us depends on our needs and limitations. Some students do not have certain financial limitations but base their decisions on other criteria.
For students deciding on a perfect NYC neighborhood three of the most important criteria are:
- Financial – Students tend to live on a very tight budget, are burdened with student loans so rent and living expenses in certain neighborhoods are one of the most important factors when deciding. A necessity to use public transport, daily commutes, and other expenses tend to be a defining factor. Even moving expenses can be a limiting factor so most go for a sure solution by hiring respectable movers like those you can find at flatlandsbrooklynmovers.com
- Academic – Availability of libraries, educational institutions, cultural and other resources needed in one’s education is the second most important factor.
- Sports and relaxation – fun factor and day to day living in a neighborhood tend to be the last of the criteria when deciding where to live
However, this is not always the rule. Some students do not have certain financial limitations but base their decisions more on other academic, cultural or other criteria. Some students such as artists might choose by valuing a completely different scale of criteria. Everyone will choose differently based on their preferences and priorities. We all know that Manhattan is the most expensive neighborhood in New York. We can also see that parts of Brooklyn can be very affordable to students on a tight budget. Unfortunately, we have to make decisions based on our financial means. The good thing about New York is that it has so much to offer to everyone. Cultural and educational offer in all boroughs and neighborhoods is overwhelming. Sports and fun activities are also omnipresent in every part of NYC. So you don’t have to think you will miss much if you can’t afford a high-end neighborhood.
When the time comes, choose smartly
So how to decide on the best neighborhood for you? First, you must look deep in your heart and be clear and honest about what you can afford. You can’t always get what you want so be prepared to compromise. You may find an apartment that is in the neighborhood within walking distance from your college but you may have to take a travel to reach other things you might like. If you want to experience NYC to the fullest you may have to deal with commuting and explore alternative forms of travel. However, the Big Apple has a good public transportation system so you can always just get a subway ticket, relax, and try to enjoy your new NYC beginning.
Once you have settled for the neighborhood it’s your time to move. Make a plan and try to hire professional help. You can do your research but for moving to New York you won’t make a mistake with the local professional movers. Once you’ve decided on your movers, try to lighten your load and give away or sell anything you might not need. Put the rest in storage and move only your essentials. Try to make your move fast and cheap and hire local professionals to make it painless and stress-free.
It is up to you to organize your new life in the new neighborhood. Try to relax and make connections with the locals. Explore the neighborhood’s diversity, way of life and different cultural backgrounds. You have made the choice so try to enjoy it. One of the best NYC neighborhoods for students is about to become your home.