Everybody moves. Locally or long distance. To a house, or to a flat. Hiring a professional mover, or moving alone. The aforementioned depends on many factors. How much money are you prepared to spend for a moving; What kind of relocation you are about to conduct- commuting for a job or moving for a better quality of life; Relocating to provide your kids with a better quality of education, and many, many others. What is in common for every kind of moving you make is- The packing! You need to pack for either one of them. There is a possibility to hire a mover&packer to do that, but you would have to pay them. And, no matter how much money you have, why would you throw it away? It is not that big a problem to pack by yourself. You just need the packing items listing!
That is what we are going to inform you about today! Reading this text will be something like a manual for packing alone. Think about what you get- You get the advice what you need for free; Reading it you are going to pack your stuff yourself; Packing yourself you will save your money. And the money is about the most important thing when it comes to moving. You never know what might go wrong during your relocation. When something goes wrong, what you need the most? Money! So, read our guide for packing items listing and save your money with just a bit of effort!
Packing items checklist for a moving day:
- Boxes of different size– Different sized items fit in different sized boxes
- Padding items- Secure your stuff from getting damaged by using packing items that make them safe
- Bubbling wraps– Some of your things are very fragile, this packing item is perfect solution for them
- Sheets for the wrapping- Wrap up your valuables you don’t want to get dirty
- Different kinds of paper- You pack eggs using paper, the same applies for the same breakable stuff you own
- Scissors- Paper needs to be cut. What packing item could you use for cutting the paper?
- Tape for heavy duty packaging- Boxes must be sealed. Tape helps you with that
- Stickers for tagging- Tag every single box with your things! It saves you from losing them, trust us!
- Markers- Helps you with tagging and marking thing
We are now about to explain what we mean by mentioning these packing items. Of course, some of them are clear enough, so we are explaining only those that need to be explained more detailed.
Packing boxes for putting your stuff into
You’re about to pack things yourself- Be aware of the sizes of the boxes you need to purchase prior to your packing for the moving day:
- Small boxes to pack your heavy items of. The best size for these boxes is: 45cm x 45cm x 25cm; or 41cm x 41cm x 31cm
- Medium boxes for packing all sorts of your stuff: Recommended size: 45cm x 45cm x 50cm, or: 41cm x 41cm x 62cm
- Large boxes, but only for light items. The size for this use: 450mm x 450mm x 750mm
- Boxes for books, Size for these packing items: 45cm x 3.5cm x 3.5c
The aforementioned is the package of boxes that professional movers commonly use for packing. You might need some extra boxes for the things that donćt fit in them, so check your stuff size and see if these packing items are good for your moving.
If you are eager to make boxes on your own, instead of purchasing, watch the video and learn how to do that:
Wrapping material packing items
For the most of your stuff, the small, fragile ones, paper and bubbling wraps will do the job, securing them from breaking. But, when it comes to your furniture, it is very important to be very careful. It is probably the most valuable sort of items you are about to move. Therefore, you need to use sheets or blankets, to secure them from getting damaged during the transportation. When you are relocating to your next home, the least thing that you would need is damaged and useless furniture. It takes money to get the new one, and we already said that you must save money when it comes to the moving!
You may see an example of how to wrap up the furniture in this video:
Tape- so cheap and easy to get, and yet so important packing item!
It looks like an unimportant item, but packing tape is maybe the most important item for ending the packing! It is something that secures your items. Packing tape makes your items stay put! That is what you want when it comes to saving your stuff from damaging. Here we will mention some of the characteristics you need to look at when you chose the right tape for your packing:
- Adhesiveness- The most important characteristic of the tape. It is something you need to make sure once you taped it, it won’t un-tape until you do that!
- The width of the tape- Typical width of packing tapes that companies offering moving services use are 4.8cm and 7.3cm. You would choose the first one (4.8cm) when packing a smaller sized box. Otherwise, when packing larger boxes, your pick should be the 7.3cm wide tape!
- Tape thickness- There are the most various packing tapes when it comes to thickness. The range of tape thickness is from 1.6mm- 3mm. The recommendations from 10 Top Movers specialist team is that it is the best to use 1.6mm tape for lighter boxes (weight up to 4.5kg). For medium-heavy boxes (from 4.5kg- 9kg) to use the tape 1.9mm thick. In the end, for the heavy-weight boxes (heavier than 9kg) it is recommended to use 3mm tape. Nevertheless, what our experts advise you to do anyway is to pick the thickest one for all the boxes. It is very probably that you don’t need that, but in a case of unprofessional handling of boxes, you want the tape to stand still!
*10 Top Movers tip for what you should do when you come to taping the boxes- Put some string at the middle of the box, and then tape it. That way, when you start unpacking, it will be enough to pull that string, and the box will be opened! You wouldn’t need to use scissors and lose unnecessary time on that!
Here’s a video how professionals tape the boxes: