Before you move to another home, you should consider hiring the moving company to help you relocate. Whether you’re moving internationally or locally, moving by yourself can be pretty stressful. Rogue movers are not so hard to avoid if you know what you’re looking for. To avoid hiring rogue movers make sure to read the following guide.
How to avoid rogue movers
When hiring a professional moving company, you should be careful. Many of them are rogue and don’t have basic licenses for doing their job. Before you start the search for the moving company you should consider the following:
- Make a plan for your needs. Before you organize your move, write down everything you want to be ready. For example, if you’re moving across the country, make sure you think about the timeline of the move and the transport of your belongings.
- Prepare your home for the moving company. This means that you should sort out all of your belongings so your stuff is not overcrowding your home. If you have some extra things to store, ask local NYC moving and storage company to help you find the best solution. When you hire reliable movers, the first thing they will do is make an estimation of the move. That will include counting all the stuff they’ll need to move and calculation of the moving cost.
- Make a research before you hire professional movers. If you’re not sure how to recognize reliable movers, you should make a research. Consider asking all of your friends and family members who already moved. Maybe they can recommend you a good moving company. If that is not the option, research online and try to find others’ experience with the same company.
The advertisement of rogue movers
The price is too good to be true. If you take a closer look at the advertisement of the rogue movers, you’ll see many unrealistic promises. First of all, you should know what is reasonable to expect from a moving company. Also, some services supposed to cost extra money. For example, it’s unreasonable to advertise a full moving service that includes packing and unpacking for a fixed price. Why not? Well, the cost of the move depends on many factors. Basically, you will not pay the same amount of money for a local move and the international one.
- Rogue movers are not available or at your disposal. When you negotiate with the professional moving agency, you should be able to reach them. If your movers don’t know all the details about the transportation logistics, they won’t do a very good job. The basic conversation about the move should include the estimation process, the timeframe of the move and the company’s offer in a written form.
- A low-cost advertisement could be a bad sign. If you stumble upon a poor looking advertisement for a moving company, it could be a bad sign. Investing money in a good-quality advertisement is important since it creates an image of the company’s work. Also, make sure to avoid rogue movers by asking people you know for a recommendation.
What services do rogue movers offer?
Before you can sign the contract with the moving company, make sure you know the realistic offer you can get. Rogue movers will, in most cases, try to offer you more services for less money. As good as this may sound, it could be a trap. The basic service you can expect includes the transport of your belongings, securing them for the trip and honoring the timeframe. A reliable moving company usually agrees to these terms for a fixed price.
However, a rogue moving company will offer you packing, unpacking, moving boxes and extra hours altogether in one deal. Not to mention, you will probably get a huge promise about the fast delivery. This offer simply can’t be realistic for many reasons. First of all, other services that movers offer will take more time and workers to finish. If you want them to carry your things for 5 stories without an elevator, it is possible. But it will also take more workers to physically achieve that.
Don’t forget to take a good look at the moving company workers. That includes every person you talk to from the moment you make the first call. The attitude they have and the clothes they wear says a lot about them being professional. If the on-call worker is rude over the phone, it could mean that the company is rogue and unprofessional. Also, if you have some big or bulky items to move, you can find help on www.bigapplemoving.com/services/moving/piano-movers-nyc/.
Be careful what you agree upon
The first clue you will discover with rogue movers is the way they negotiate. If they try to give “the best price they can” before they do the estimation process, it’s most likely a fraud. Make sure to insist on the on-site estimation so you can negotiate face to face with the workers.
If you already agreed to the terms and services of the company, make sure to ask for a written contract. Nothing good can come out of promises and “we’ll see” attitude. If you suspect the rogue movers are trying to impress you with the final offer, that’s going to change at the end of the moving process. Ask for a contract and make sure to read it in detail.
Talk about the details. Even if you think that everything is going well and you agreed to the company’s terms and conditions. There is a good chance that rogue movers could start acting irresponsible and lazy once you turn your back. Make sure to discuss the details about the timeframe of the move and to be present. It doesn’t mean that you should stand in the way of packing. Just make sure to supervise so none of your belongings get lost or damaged.